Traffic Fatalities Rise in 2012

by | Aug 26, 2013 | Motor Vehicle Accident

What to do after a car accident? Call 911 immediately. Car accidents Oklahoma.

Traffic fatalities rose 10 percent in 2012 over the previous year in the five-state region that includes Oklahoma, according to estimates by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The region of Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and New Mexico had the nation’s largest increase in deaths from traffic crashes.

The Oklahoma Office of Highway Safety reports that there were 70,669 vehicle crashes statewide in 2012. More than 53 percent of those wrecks took place in and around the state’s three largest cities: Tulsa, Oklahoma City and Norman.

According to the Oklahoma highway safety office, in 2012:

  • Cleveland County had 4,779 accidents. Fatalities were up 14 percent in 2012.
  • Oklahoma County had 19,081. Fatalities were up 21 percent.
  • Tulsa County had 13,848 in Tulsa County. Fatalities rose 6 percent.

These counties accounted for more than 25 percent of traffic deaths in the entire state of Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Office of Highway Safety also reported a total of almost 1,900 large truck accidents last year in and around Norman, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City. The office counted 697 motorcycle accidents in these areas, accounting for 42 percent of all motorcycle accidents in the state.

There were 1,792 alcohol-related accidents in Cleveland, Oklahoma and Tulsa counties in 2012, which amounts to 42 percent of such crashes in the entire state. In a recent statement, Garry Thomas, the director of the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, said that the organization’s top priority is reducing drunk driving.

Have you been injured or lost a loved one in a car, truck or motorcycle accident in Oklahoma? The seasoned Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys at Burch, George & Germany, P.C., are here to help.

Our firm represents clients who have been hurt as result of traffic accidents, medical malpractice, birth injuries, defective products and nursing home abuse.

Contact us today to talk with one of our passionate and skilled lawyers about your right to compensation.