HIT AND RUN CAR ACCIDENTS IN OKLAHOMA CITY
If you cannot find the other driver, you must take a different approach. Typically, you must turn to your own auto insurance coverage. Unfortunately, the process could become difficult. Getting help from an experienced attorney can be critical.
The lawyers of Burch, George & Germany, P.C., are available to assist you. We serve hit and run accident victims and their families in all of Oklahoma’s 77 counties. Simply contact us today to arrange for a free review of your case.
What Should You Do After a Hit and Run Car Accident?
If you are able to act immediately after a hit and run accident in Oklahoma, you need to:
- Record as much information as you can – While the events are still fresh in your mind, write down what happened. What was the make, model and color of the car? Did you recall any numbers on the license plate? Did you see the driver? What road were you on? Where did the driver go after the collision?
- Call the police – Provide any information you have to the police. In some cases, the police may be able to track down the other driver. Filing a report will at least document the accident. The police report will play a critical role as you seek compensation.
- Get medical treatment – Go to the emergency room without delay. You could be suffering from serious internal injuries that aren’t immediately apparent to you. You should also follow up with your personal doctor. You may develop symptoms of soft tissue or other injuries in the days after the crash. Keep all of your medical records.
You should take these steps if you are struck by a hit and run driver while driving, walking or biking. These steps will help you down the road as your pursue compensation.
How Are Hit and Run Accidents Insured?
If you cannot find the driver who hit you, then you (and your attorney) can seek a recovery through your own insurance policy, including:
- Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage – Oklahoma law requires auto insurers to offer this coverage to you in the same minimum limits as liability insurance ($25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $25,000 per accident for property damage). You can reject it in writing. However, UM will protect you if you are a driver, pedestrian or bicyclist involved in a hit and run accident.
At Burch, George & Germany, P.C., we advise people to buy UM coverage (as well as underinsured motorist, or UM, coverage). We also suggest purchasing more than the minimum amount.
- Other optional insurance coverage – You may have purchased other insurance coverage that will protect you without the need for you to establish that another driver caused the crash. These policies include collision (vehicle damage) and personal injury protection (or medical payment) coverage (bodily injury).
Do You Need a Hit and Run Lawyer After a Hit and Run Car Accident?
Individuals can file a claim with their own insurance company after a hit and run crash and proceed without an attorney. However, insurers can be difficult to deal with.
Even though you have kept up with paying your premiums, the insurer may unreasonably deny or delay paying your claim. The insurer, for instance, may claim that you were not hit by a hit and run driver but instead caused your own accident.
A lawyer can help by thoroughly investigating the crash and compiling evidence. An attorney can also deal directly with the insurance company and negotiate a settlement. If the insurer acts in bad faith, the lawyer can undertake proper legal action in court.
Our Lawyers Help Hit and Run Oklahoma Accident Victims
If you are the victim of a hit and run car accident that happened anywhere in Oklahoma, contact a Burch, George & Germany, P.C., lawyer as soon as possible. Due to the unique nature of these crashes, taking immediate steps can be essential in obtaining a recovery. If you suspect that the driver who hit you is under the influence of liquor, don’t hesitate to contact a drunk driving accident attorney Oklahoma.
Call today or submit our online form to receive a free consultation.